Sunday, November 6, 2011

Our Garden

Every year I get so excited as we get our garden in and it starts to produce.


Our front garden



This year we had tomatoes, onions, green beans, cucumbers, green peppers, zucchini, crook neck squash, and pumpkins. Not everything did really well, but most of it did. (And I was able to get stuff from other people on what didn't do very well, like the green beans.)

I bottle most of it and it is great to see our shelves filled with food for the winter. This year I was able to do:
28 quarts of salsa
13 quarts of sweet and sour sauce
12 pints of pizza sauce
28 quarts of peaches
28 quarts of pears
10 quarts of spaghetti sauce
13 quarts of green beans
6 quarts of apple pie filling

I also bottle chicken throughout the year whenever I can get it on sale.

I have some apples ordered so I'm sure we will have more pie filling and lots of applesauce.

It is a lot of work and by the end of the canning season I get really sick of doing it and of the mess it leaves in my kitchen. But it all tastes so good in the following year.

No comments:

Post a Comment